Sunday 31 March 2013

Kelly Jones

Not the lead singer of the Stereophonics, but a female police officer who is suing a man who reported a suspected burglary and she tripped and hurt herself while responding.
Now, I've got no problem with the police. I think that, on the whole, they do a fantastic job, under huge pressure and with a growing risk to their lives. They are massively overworked and insultingly underpaid.
But this is taking the piss.
PC Kelly Jones, of Norfolk, you are a bell-end.
It wasn't even like she tripped on something of his. It was a kerb she tripped on, and she hurt her wrist and her leg. The man in question is Steve Jones (I assume no relation), a garage owner who called the police because he thought he was being burgled. Perfectly reasonable.
While looking around, PC Jones tripped on a six-inch kerb, and is now suing him because she says he put her in unnecessary danger by not warning her about the kerb. She also says it wasn't lit well enough.
This whole litigation culture is really getting out of hand now. The way things are going, just to protect ourselves we're going to have to put warning signs on everything and actually point out risks to anyone who comes within a mile of us or our property.
I'd be scared to call the police if I thought someone was burgling my house now. The burglars would be stripping my house, and I would be shouting to the police, "Mind the kerb! There's a bit of privet sticking out that might scratch you. Mind the doorstep - it's a bit high. Wait there - I'll come and let you in." Then as I walked down the stairs I'd have to warn the burglars: "Please be careful of the loose carpet near the patio doors. If you've broken the glass, please be careful not to cut yourself. I'm coming downstairs but I don't plan to come into the living room. However, I am carrying a baseball bat which could of course hurt you. I will ensure that I use it carefully and proportionately."
I answer the door to the police. "Please come in. Mind the step. The radiator in the hall there has a bit of a rough edge. The burglars are in the living room. Please be aware that they may be lurking behind the door to attack you as you enter. Should you catch them they will no doubt launch a tirade at you that might include strong language and opinions that might offend."
Silly cow.

No comments:

Post a Comment